Saturday 18 February 2012

Reflecting, Questioning and Analysing (Week 1)

Can you describe a teacher (or teaching figure) who has influenced you either positively or negatively, and some of his/her qualities or characteristics?
If there was one, describe an event or moment of encounter that has since stuck in your mind. Can you explain what specifically was about the interaction that changed your thinking or understanding? Putting this memory or impression in words may help illuminate an essential and fundamental quality of teachers that is especially meaningful to you.

I went to the same school for years 7, 8 and 10 but changed states in year 9. Unfortunately because the change was to a different state the levels and grading systems were different, so when I moved back to Canberra I was placed in the lowest level of each major class so I wouldn’t be ‘above my skill level’. My English teacher who had taught me before the move saw me on one of my first days back and remembered my name, my abilities in her subject and was really welcoming and helpful to me. She got me moved into an English class that suited my ability and made continuous effort to make sure that I was kept up to date with the work I may have missed.
She showed me that there is a lot more to teaching than just teaching. She helped me feel less nervous, knew my needs and helped me get to where I needed to be. Instead of treating me like a number, I was treated like an individual. She made me feel unique.


In describing what teachers do, people have compared them to parents, mentors, coaches, artists, performers, analysts, etc (see Churchill, et al., p.15 for other metaphors). Who do you associate an ideal teacher with? Can you elaborate a bit on that?

Teachers should be the light that guides students towards their life goals, the teacher should give answers, take sides or tell their students what is right or wrong, but should teach their students how to answer these questions themselves. So when faced with them later on in life they can stand on their own feet. They can be like a parent, mentor, coach, artist or a performer but that (in my opinion) is not what makes them the kind of teacher they are.
An ideal teacher should be a helping hand and mentor, but not a crutch to their students. Many people say the ideal teacher is like a parent, but a parent is much more present and has a much stronger relationship with the student. A parent takes sides and can punish with out consequence, can have arguments and long discussions with their child. Teachers are bound by rules and by society, they have a job to do and whilst parents do teach their children the ways of the world they do not teach them to stand on their own.

As much as an independent endeavour, teaching is also an embedded profession. Teachers' work is contextualised in a complex social network and is consequently a response to requirements and expectations of national and local governments, school authorities, parents, and students. Teachers' clienteles, their students, are equally social beings from varied societal backgrounds. Based on your reading of Connell (2009) can you talk about the implications that social contextualisation has for what a good teacher is?

The education system in Australia and all around the world is based on the wants of society; the government, the parents and maybe, the children (if they get around to that). Education is a product of the times and as times change and society changes we see the education changing as well. Notice above that I say wants and not needs. The needs of the society, the government and the children are not really taken into account, but the perceived needs most certainly are. The governments perceived view of the work force aims for a working society, the parent’s perceived view of their children’s future wants and needs are embedded into the child and to the teachers, and the student’s wishes are considered last and their needs rarely asked.
Being a good teacher means taking everyone’s needs and wants into account and putting them in order of importance. Teaching is always going to be affected by society but it is the teacher who affects how it plays out in the classroom. A good teacher is no longer defined as ‘an obedient servant of the authorities.[1]’ They are considered an integral part of society.




[1]Raewyn, C. (2009) Good teachers on dangerous ground: towards a new view of teacher quality and professionalism (pp. 3) Retrieved on the 19th of February, 2012, from http://www.scielo.br/pdf/ep/v36nspe/en_v36nspea13.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment